The US Virgin Islands is America’s very own Caribbean paradise. It offers US citizens the best chance of owning a home in this beautiful region with the least encumbrances and with potential tax benefits. International buyers will also find the territory highly welcoming.
You have several real estate options in this much-coveted archipelago, from single-family homes and villas to condos and townhomes. Of these, single-family homes are the most abundant. You’ll find older properties from various eras in the islands’ long history, as well as new construction homes.
Saint Thomas is a great place to start when searching homes for sale in the US Virgin Islands. The largest, most populous, and busiest island in the territory, Saint Thomas is home to neighborhoods that offer amazing views and fantastic access to the region’s best attractions and destinations.
What you’ll find
- Most of the single-family homes in Saint Thomas feature custom architecture that accommodates the island’s hilly terrain while taking full advantage of the surrounding views.
- Gated communities are rare. However, in the island’s various neighborhoods, you’ll find plenty of upscale homes with luxurious finishes and features.
- There’s also a good number of relatively more affordable homes, particularly those constructed in the mid-1900s. These have been well-preserved over the decades and updated to meet the demands of today’s market.
- The finest homes in Saint Thomas and the rest of the USVI were built to withstand exposure to strong hurricanes and natural coastal elements that can cause rapid deterioration. That most homes in the territory remain solidly intact despite their exposure to these elements is a testament to their high-quality construction and materials.
Top neighborhoods with single-family homes
Here are some of the neighborhoods in Saint Thomas where you’ll find excellent options for single-family homes:
- Peterborg – A peninsula that separates Magens Bay and the Atlantic Ocean, Peterborg features gorgeous luxury properties with panoramic views and great access to the world-famous Magens Bay Beach
- Mahogany Run – Originally designed as an exclusive golf community, Mahogany Run boasts spectacular mansions and estates with breathtaking views. It’s one of the few communities in Saint Thomas with 24/7 staff-guarded gates and roving security
- Water Point – With limited home sites and a somewhat secluded location at Saint Thomas’s East End peninsula, Water Point offers utmost privacy and exclusivity
- Deck Point – This neighborhood is a good choice for waterfront and water view properties near the prestigious St. Thomas Yacht Club. Many homes come with a private dock, which make them perfect for boating enthusiasts.
- Cabrita Point – This waterfront community features older homes that also make great investment properties or second homes
- Frenchman’s Bay – This neighborhood is your best bet for more affordable housing, while having its fair share of upscale permanent and vacation properties. It’s ideal location close to Charlotte Amalie and several idyllic beaches make Frenchman’s Bay a highly popular residential choice.
Single-family homes in Water Island
While officially and geographically separate from Saint Thomas, Water Island is just a short 10-minute ferry ride away. As the least developed of the USVI’s four major islands, Water Island has a magic all its own. The homes here offer great value and are no less charming than those found in its more sophisticated neighbors.