Peterborg is a beautiful peninsula on the northern side of Saint Thomas, nestled between the blue waters of Magens Bay and the Atlantic Ocean. Everywhere you look on this paradise on earth, you’re treated to spectacular vistas of endless waters and lush green hillsides.
It’s one of the most sought-after places to live and visit in the U.S. Virgin Islands. In real estate, luxury is the norm. The peninsula features stunning first and second homes, as well as opulent vacation villas for holiday seekers.
At a glance:
- The Atlantic side of the peninsula features views of the down-islands, or the cluster of smaller islands and cays stretching all the way to the British Virgin Islands
- Magens Bay Beach is protected by the peninsula, making the conditions ideal for swimming, snorkeling, and other water activities
- At the tip of Peterborg is Picara Point or Peterborg Point, a popular tourist destination known for its tidal pools and stunning rock formations
- Despite Peterborg’s seeming isolation, it’s only around 12 minutes away from Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas’s cultural and commercial center. Views of the town can be enjoyed from certain parts of Peterborg’s center ridge.
History of Peterborg
Peterborg was formerly part of a larger estate whose ownership was passed on from one Saint Thomas historical figure to another.
- In the 1700s, Peterborg was part of Zufriedenheit (Contentment), a Danish plantation that grew sugar cane and produced sugar and rum. In 1817, the plantation was sold to Arve Petersen Magens, after whom Magens Bay was named.
- The Magens family sold Zufriedenheit to Dr. P. Mortensen in 1898, who combined the plantation with other estates to make up Magens Bay Estate.
- Twenty years later, New York financier Arthur S. Fairchild acquired 100 acres of Magens Bay Estate. In 1947, he deeded 57 acres of the land, including part of Magens Bay beach, to the people of the Virgin Islands.
Peterborg, St. Thomas homes for sale
Peterborg boasts some of the most luxurious properties in the US Virgin Islands, and many of these are found in the peninsula’s three gated communities – Dove Way, Red Rock, and Sydney’s Fancy. Perched on hillsides at varying elevations, these exclusive communities offer breathtaking views of Magens Bay and feature elegantly-landscaped homes and streets.
A number of properties found along the center ridge, including some homes in Sydney’s Fancy, boast panoramic double views of Magens Bay and the Atlantic. They command the highest prices in all of Peterborg.
While most homes in the peninsula have water views, the geography limits the number of properties with direct beach access. Because of their rarity, these properties are also among the highest priced in the community. A few feature pocket beaches, or short strips of beach for the exclusive use of the homeowners.
Peterborg’s rugged landscape will make you feel like you’re in your very own sanctuary, away from the bustle of the everyday grind. Yet, you’re only minutes away from St. Thomas’s most popular destinations, including Charlotte Amarie, Magens Bay, Peterborg Point, and more.
If you have a taste for luxury and the finest things in life, Peterborg is perfect for you. Learn about the finest Saint Thomas, Virgin Islands real estate here. Contact me today at 340.690.9995 or send an email to barbara(at)seaglassproperties(dotted)com.